Tuesday, June 5, 2012

6/5/2012 Do You Like Butter?

When I was a little girl
living in Holly Park,
whenever we saw a buttercup
we would pick one.
Then we would ask,
"Do you like Butter?"
Then we'd continue with,
"Let me check."
Next,we would hold the flower under each others' chins
and if we saw yellow, we'd say,
"Yep. You like butter!"
Buttercups grow in wet areas
so there are plenty all over Seattle.
Plus there was a swamp between our project house
and the Wig Wam store on Rainier Avenue and Othello
and it was chock full of buttercups!
There was another saying that I'm not sure about
and I'll have to ask my sister
but it went like this:
Whenever you'd say something at the same time we'd say,
"Pins and needles,
needles and pins.
What goes up the chimney?
Smoke.
What comes down?
Santa Claus.
Apple core Baltimore,
Whose your friend?"
That is as far as I remember
but years later when we moved to North Seattle
there was the addition of:
One, two, three four,
I declare a thumb war!
Do you remember these sayings?
Do I have them right?
The other one that was popular was:
"Step on a crack,
break your mother's back.
Step on a line,
break your mother's spine."
We didn't have many sidewalks in South Seattle.
Did you have other childhood sayings?

No comments:

Post a Comment