Thursday, August 27, 2015

Forty Year Reunion Roosevelt High School Seattle Washington Class of 1975

You know you are getting old when your reunion name tags
are in LARGE PRINT (thankfully),
you hear the word, "Legacy" in the program,
and a missing husband has NOT
sneaked off for a smoke but is sound asleep in the car.
Our reunion was held at the swanky Sand Point country club
and I arrived with my classmate Bill Cook in his
cherry restored 1967 candy apple red Mustang.
I'd dieted all summer to squeeze into my size twelve
white and pink-rosed cocktail dress but it was
tough breathing since I only got down to a size fourteen.
The zipper got caught on my back-fat while getting ready
and Terry was still at work.
Luckily one of Troy's friends was home next door
and managed to zip me in.
Probably scarred him for life!
Only a hundred of our six hundred classmates showed up
and I remembered most of them.
All past slights from high school are forgiven when
you know you are down to your last few decades
so I hugged people that I couldn't stand when I was eighteen.
I sat at a table with my best Latin club friend,
Marie McGarry and she had come up from California to see us all.
I was also with Bryant elementary friend Marcia Burkhart
and there was a good showing of Bryant and Assumption people.
Right after dinner, Aime Lambert ran up to me and said,
"Gretchen, have you seen Tom?! I can't find him anywhere?!"
I told her I hadn't seen him and an hour later
she told me, "I found him asleep in the car!"
I just laughed because I was ready for bed too.
We are almost sixty now and old and tired
and ready to retire.

No comments:

Post a Comment