Tuesday, January 10, 2012

1/10/2012 The Dearness of First Graders

I usually substitute in the upper grades
so it is always fun to pick up
a job in kindergarten or first grade.
I feel like a giant when I walk in since
the desks and counters are at knee level.
The thing I like about first graders
is how cute they look with no teeth.
Not one child had front teeth today
and I like being called Mithus Nixthon.
The teacher had left a basket of
snow picture books and when I held up
The Biggest Best Snowman, a little girl
exclaimed, "That looks like my dad! He's
at eight feet tall you know!"
I knew I had a few dad volunteers
coming in and I kept watching for him.
Maybe another day.
I always forget how affectionate little kids
are. Teachers are not allowed to touch kids
so it always startles me when they rush
up out of nowhere and hug me.
I make sure to turn sideways for the
side hug that is allowed.
It is so hard not to laugh when they ask
me how old I am and I tell them to guess.
The guesses always range from thirty to one hundred.
Maybe I should change my goal from
trying to get a full time teaching job to
subbing the longest in recorded history.
I'm already at nine years of subbing now.
I love to read, mostly fiction,
and to write short stories but there
is one more thing I like better than that.
Reading "essays" by first graders.
Today's reflective essay about the
bears hibernating for winter really cracked me up.
"Baers r slepe an r hangry and et
ulot of fesh and haneey."
It's so nice
to be in a world of complete innocence,
even if it is just for one day.
A place where getting a sticker for your work
makes you jump up and down with joy.
A place where you learn to tie your shoes
and watch out for that
dangerous zipper on your puffy coat.




No comments:

Post a Comment