Wednesday, October 12, 2011

10/12/2011 Snake-In-The-Box

People that know me well,
know that I am jumpy.
They approach me slowly, waving their arms
from a bit of an angle to make sure I see them.
Otherwise they know I’m prone to shrieking.
I do that when surprised or startled or both.
I don’t know why God made me this way
but I do know that it disturbs people.
I am a sociable, outgoing person.
Just a bit jumpy that’s all.
So you can just imagine what happened
when I was cruising up Hollyhills Avenue in my mail jeep,
and I opened the mailbox door
and there was a snake sitting about a foot from my face.
Who knew garter snakes could coil up?
I hadn't ever looked at one from eye level before.
I didn’t know that they had really sharp looking fangs
and that their tongues are split and wave horizontally.
Too much information!
I shrieked and threw the mail up in the air and it landed all over the ground.
Surprisingly, I didn’t crash my jeep.
I managed to pull ahead of the big wooden
double mailbox stand and park my jeep.
I got out and stood their shaking in my
sturdy black femailman shoes and blue suit.
Mr. Isenhour came out to see what the commotion was
and I showed him the snake, which hadn’t budged.
He pulled it out and picked up all the mail and put it in the boxes for me.
Like the dogs weren’t bad enough!

No comments:

Post a Comment