Thursday, October 13, 2011

10/14/2011 Hop In Mr. Simpson

I delivered plenty of strange things
during my ten years on the mail routes.
Coconuts, cremains, a car.
Yes, you read right!
Mr. Powell joined a "Build-A-Car" club
and every week for three years
I delivered a new part.
The seven foot exhaust pipe just barely fit
in my tiny mail jeep.
In the blistering summer of 1980,
I had just finished 'Putting the Right Mail
in the Right Box',
when I looked in my mirror and saw Mr. Simpson
coming up the hill.
He looked terrible!
I jumped out of my truck and ran to him
and could tell he had heat exhaustion.
He told me he had walked from Holly Hills down to
the Woodinville Dairy Queen for lunch and didn't feel good.
Well, duh! It was almost ninety degrees out!
I opened the back of my mail truck,
moved my empty trays and said,
"Hop in Mr. Simpson."
He pretzeled up his huge six foot frame into
the back of my tiny jeep and off we went.
I pulled up to the house and opened the jeep door
and dashed up his driveway and got Irene.
"Mrs. Simpson", I said, "I have a special delivery for you."
We went down and helped Mr. Simpson up to the house
and I went on my merry way.
Mr. Simpson was possibly my strangest delivery
and I forgot to collect postage!

No comments:

Post a Comment