Monday, September 12, 2011

9/12/2011 Not My Pewter Ladel!

Having two teenage sons has
desensitized me to the household damage
to some extent.
Especially when they have their friends
over.
For each teenager, the damage is
exponential, not additional.
I'm not sure why that is
but I know it to be a fact.
I have tried to detach emotionally
from all my possessions for this reason.
I'd need the whole world wide web to list
all the things my kids and their friends
have demolished around here.
Usually I just accept it and figure
someday they'll have jobs and they
can replace the walls, floors, furniture
and items that have been damaged.
But this was different.
As I looked in the kitchen garbage can,
there was my pewter ladle.
It was a wedding present from my Auntie Lois.
Troy's friend Devin had used it for an
ice cream scoop!
Does a ladle REALLY look like an ice cream scoop?
I guess it did to him.
I took the pieces to the living room
and held it up to the circle of teens
busily killing zombies on their video game
and asked who had broken it.
Devin had the good manners to admit
his crime and apologize.
It's nice to have at least one Eddie Haskell.

No comments:

Post a Comment