Sunday, September 18, 2011

9/18/2011 A Canteen for my Birthday, How Romantic

I'd like to thank the inventors of flannel PJs,
polarfleece pullovers and most importantly, GORTEX.
When Terry bought me my jacket in 1986,
I didn't think it was very romantic-
but it still keeps me dry!
When you live near Seattle,
gortex is the Holy Grail of fashion.
Today was the first cold, rainy day
of what will be the norm here for the next nine months.
I'm still shocked when people tell me they
actually moved here from Southern California.
I wouldn't live here in a million years
if I hadn't been born here.
Not the spot for a sun-loving girl.
But with the right equipment,
I've survived.
Like when I turned thirty and opened my gift.
All I could think was,
"A canteen, how romantic."
But you know what?
That canteen saved my life one time.
It was a hot August day and Troy and Teddy
and I jumped in the van to pick up gear
for scout camp and we got so thirsty!
We were stuck at that horrible
five way stop in downtown Bot hell forever.
I reached down for my trusty canteen
and realized that my husband is a saint.
The patron saint of survival gear!

No comments:

Post a Comment